Ref: NCT- 4/3/2/37
Title: Provision of Legal Services
Issuer: The National Consumer Tribunal (“NCT”)
Issue date: 25-09-2020
Sector: Legal Services
Closing date: 19-10-2020
Closing time: 12:00
Compulsory meeting: No
Meeting date: N/A
Description: Provision of Legal Services
Tender number: NCT- 4/3/2/37
Closing date and time: 19 October 2020 at 12:00pm
Notice to bidder(s): The NCT will endeavour to inform bidders of the outcome of the application.
1.1. The National Consumer Tribunal (“NCT”) was established in terms of the National Credit Act, No. 34 of 2005 (the Act) in September 2006.
1.2. Mandate and functional purpose
As an independent adjudicative entity, the NCT’s mandate is to hear and decide on cases involving consumers, service providers, credit providers, debt counsellors and credit bureaux. It is also responsible for reviewing decisions made by the National Credit Regulator and the National Consumer Commission.
In pursuing this mandate, the functions of the NCT is to –
• Adjudicate on any application or referral that may be made to it in terms of the National Credit Act and Consumer Protection Act;
• Make any order provided for in these Acts regarding such an application or referral of prohibited conduct and if finding that a contravention exists, by imposing a remedy provided for in these Acts;
• Grant an order for costs in terms of these Acts;
• Exercise any other power conferred on it by these Acts.
2. SERVICES REQUIRED
2.1. A panel of Legal firms (as well as individuals specializing in the provision of legal services) interested in providing legal advisory services and legal support to the NCT is invited to provide proposals that would cover the following activities:
2.1.1 General Legal services in terms of litigation matters in the High Court and the CCMA.
2.1.2 Must have provided Legal advisory services in the Public Sector.
2.1.3 Understanding of the National Credit Act and subsequent amendments thereof and the Consumer Protection Act, including but not limited to the following: –
• Present formal and informal legal opinions, concerning consumer and credit related matters, including obtaining necessary opinions, rulings, and other documents from the SA Revenue Service, National Treasury, and other government regulatory bodies as requested by the Chairman or Registrar, or their designees.
2.1.4 Administrative legal support and advice, including but not limited to the following: –
• Advise the NCT on compliance with applicable government laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
• Development and review of NCT policies;
• Provide advice and written legal opinions on fiduciary duties and structure, as well as on corporate governance and administrative issues.
2.1.5 Law of contracts, including but not limited to the following: –
• Prepare, review and advise the NCT in the negotiation and drafting of various management and consulting contracts, as and when required.
• Development and review of corporate contracts (e.g. service level agreements, lease agreements etc.).
• Provide legal advice on the implications of outsourcing certain services and ensure that the NCT’s interests are protected.
A nominated official of the bidder(s) can make enquiries in writing, to the firstname.lastname@example.org. Bidder(s) must reduce all telephonic enquiries to writing and send to the abovementioned email address.
See document for more details.